It is the largest outdoor antique show in the world and is held for 5 days, three times a year in Brimfield, MA. I had nudged Dr.A to take me to this event for months, actually for 8 months to be precise, because the last one was held in September and we missed it because Dr.A was in New Mexico at that time. I remember I whined a lot.
It was about an hour drive, and as we got closer to Brimfield I could see that so many other cars surrounding us were also heading to the same place. I started getting paranoid. "What if everybody is after what I want? Oh my god we will never find a parking spot." It of course was just my paranoia and we were fine.
Thousands of tents were spread along the main street, about a mile long on both sides. It is simply impossible to see all dealers in a day, but I was prepared! I had done a research on the whereabouts of dealers I wanted to visit, using the database and map provided by the show's website. One problem. Both the database and map were very old. At one point we walked half a mile to get to a subsection and found an entirely empty field. Joy.
But over all, it was fun. It was festive. Live music and food booths. There were some neat stuff and lots of junk (well looked like junk), and the distinct smell of antiques was everywhere.
We only took 3 photos there. I was too busy hunting.
An old fire-hose cart.

Very old but polished fire extinguishers.

Close-up
My plunder =)
I am not an avid collector but I love these old milk glass. I think they are technically called collectibles, not old enough to be qualified as antique.
Speaking of antiques, there is an antique shop in New Mexico that we still talk about. We were visiting the city of Taos and there it was. I was hoping to find some milk glass but we saw nothing but...old tools for medical operations. Fake eyeballs. Pictures of people with deformed parts etc etc...
And the guy in the shop payed no attention to us, who were the only customers. He was staring at the computer screen, which looked like an auction site for more medical tools.
It was downright creepy.
先月の話ですが、5月15日、ボストンから車で1時間強の Brimfield という町で開催されていたアンティークショーに行ってきました。町は小さいですが屋外のショーとしては世界最大の規模で、年に3回、5日間にわたって催されます。前回の9月分を逃して以来(Dr.A が出張で不在だった)、行きたい行きたいとずいぶん大騒ぎしました。
世界最大規模というだけあって現地に着く頃には渋滞しはじめ、駐車できないんじゃないかと不安になりだし、そのうち周りの人たち全員が私が欲しいものを狙っていたらどうしようとまで思い始めましたが何事もなく到着。
大通りの両側に、約1マイルにわたって何千ものテントがたてられています。1日で全部見るのはもちろん無理と分かっていたので、ウェブサイトに載っていた地図とデータベースで事前に行きたいディーラーを下調べ。準備万端!唯一の誤算は、データベースも地図も全く更新されていない古いものだったということでしょう。ある地区を目指して500メートルくらい延々と歩いていったら、何もない野原が広がっていたり...
でも食べ物屋のテントがあったり楽器を弾いてる人がいたりと、お祭りのようで非常に楽しかったです。
珍しいものと山のようなガラクタ(に見えた)があって、骨董品独特の匂いがしていました。見るのに忙しくてほとんど写真は撮りませんでした。写真一番上は昔の消火用ホース(を巻くカート)です。中2枚は非常に古い消火器。
最後の一枚:私の戦利品
コレクターというほどの情熱はありませんが、ミルクグラスと呼ばれるこの曇ったガラスが好きでちょこちょこ集めています。アンティークとよぶには新しいので、正確にはコレクティブルと呼ばれるようです。
アンティークといえば、今でも忘れられない店の話です。
2人でニューメキシコ州のタオスという場所を訪れたときに入った店で、もちろんミルクグラスを期待していたのですが、店内にひしめくように並べられていたのは、古い医療器具に色とりどりの義眼、人の異常部位の写真などなど。そして唯一の客である私らに目もくれず、パソコンの前で医療器具のオークションとおぼしきサイトをじっと見つめる店主... 恐怖でした。
2 comments:
楽しそう!
時間が過ぎるのを忘れそうです。
ミルクグラス
私のお気に入りの日本人が経営しているカフェで
販売しているものに似ています。
今度行った時に、写真を撮ってきて
日記に載せるので、見てみてください。
日記の写真、ありがとうございました。
おお!?と思わず身を乗り出してしまいました。
アンティークショー、私はすぐ雰囲気に乗せられて色々買いたくなるので、自制するのが大変でした。
Post a Comment